Thursday, June 26, 2008

Why not?

Not being able to sleep I decided to place another post on my blog. I mean there is only so much late night TV one can take before looking for the power button, right? I got the mail today and noticed a letter from UND. I opened it, and it was a "special invitation" from the president of the school to be, and I quote again, "Commencement Marshal Candidate" for the summer commencement. I am not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing, I know I will have to get up in front of lots of people, which I hate doing, it is August 1st, which I hope to be headed to Idaho before than, so I will probably be declining but thanks anyway. This is something that they honor the underclassman with outstanding academic records. For those of you paying attention my Spring semester didn't go as planned due to some unforeseen pure laziness on my part. I was only able to get a 3.485 GPA which doesn't place you on any list. The saddest part was I got a "C" in the class that I very easily could have gotten an "A" in if I only had just applied myself a little more. Oh well, live and learn I guess.

Well here is the first picture that Cole drew without any help from myself. As you can see here, the artist's perspective on the piece entitled "airplane" was drawn with such precision and detail, from the distinctive airplane shape right down to the windows carefully placed along the side of the airplane.

I will leave my visitors with this last thought that touched my heart last week. I was rocking Cole to sleep one night, just as I do every night, and he curled up on my chest, laid his head on my arm and then wrapped his arms around my arm. I am so thankful for a son who not only seems to understand me, but has such a loving way with his dad. I truly enjoy giving bubba "airplanes rides" to the big boy toilet (If you have to go, what better way to get there than your own person jet) and the special times when he just wants to curl up in my arms and fall asleep. For these are the things in which I am grateful.

3 comments:

Jen said...

my last blog entry was completed at 2:30 a.m. so i know exactly what you are talking about.

cole is so sweet and you have always been so good with him. enjoy him while he is small.

Meg said...

That's neat they want to honor you but I think spending time with your family at that time might be more fun for you. I wish I got airplane rides to the toilet. The airplane is too cute!!!

SPARKY said...

matt..i love this post. i was just telling rich last night that i cannot imagine how much regret those "baby wise" folks are going to have down the road. (don't believe in rocking baby to sleep). it's one of my favorite times with ry. even if it's at 3:30 in the morning. when he nestles his little head into my arm and chest, slides his hand behind my back to wedge it between me and the rocker, and kicks his leg over for me to hold it up. mmmm, that IS the best. glad you see it. hold on to it tight.
and congrats on the acknowledgement of a job well done given to you. it is just that and we are all soooo proud of you