Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Half Way Done

My last flight on Monday had put me over the half way mark with getting my private license. There are 17 lessons that I have to take and I am currently on lesson number 10. It has really gone by quickly and I am looking forward to getting it done and over with so that I can have more time to spend on my other classes.

My last flight was a little bit interesting. I haven't really flown in high wind conditions since it really isn't ever windy in the Idaho area. I was watching the wind speed and direction the majority of the flight and noticed it got up to around 41 knots. Just for fun my instructor turned us into the wind and slowed the airplane down to around 55 knots. We were trying to see how slow we could get our ground speed. Well we got our ground speed down to 27 knots. That means it would take us roughly one hour to travel 27 miles. It felt like we were just sitting in the air not moving.

He told me about a story when he was getting his private down in LA (the state not the city) and there was some bad wind. His instructor actually got the plane to fly backwards. If you can't picture this think about trying to swim upstream in a fast current. Same thing.

I will really try to take pictures of my next flight. We are going to try and combine the next two lessons together. There are a day cross country and a night cross country. So I will have nothing but time to take pictures. This flight will be on Monday so I should have some cool pictures on Tuesday or Wednesday, if the weather is good.

2 comments:

Rob said...

That is awesome. So close to becoming my personal pilot nice work. Can't wait to see pics. How far cross country will you be flying.

Jen said...

take ME flying?! in one of those teeny planes?! i may need a bit of something before i go up(wink wink).