Monday, October 6, 2008

High Alert

I feel like Owen Wilson in the movie Behind Enemy Lines. At the beginning of the movie there is an alarm and everyone on the ship scrambles to the area to launch two fighter jets. The planes are in position and the engines are blasting at full throttle. You see Owen looking out the cockpit window at the guy on deck with the trigger to release the catapult. And then you hear the alarm to stand down.

I was all set to ago on a quick cross country flight this morning. The weather the previous night was a little rainy and I didn't have any real worries for this particular flight. I get ready for bed, place all of my flight gear by the door. I make some last minute corrections for the route of flight. I watch the rest of the Angles game ( they won in 12 ) and proceed for bed. I look at the clock and set the alarm for 6:40. I roll my eyes realizing that I have to be out at the airport at 7:45 am. That is way too early for me.

The alarm goes off and I hit the snooze button. As you can tell I am a real go getter early in the morning (yes anything before 9 is early in the morning). I finally get out of bed at 7:15 after calculating the exactly number of minutes it will take me to get ready, shower, eat, and drive to the airport. I glance at the weather channel to get a quick idea of the weather. I check my phone and noticed I had received a text message from my instructor telling me that it was dual IFR conditions until noon.

I spend the next hour or so getting back into bed and trying to fall asleep. What a let down to be ready for a flight just to get cancelled because of weather. This is like the third or fourth flight in the last two weeks.
Despite the fact that I had to cancel my flight today there is one thing for sure. The sunset after a rainstorm looks pretty cool.
Here are a couple of pics of Cole from last week. For some reason he wanted to watch 101 puppies (as he calls it) in his room on his rocking chair. Something very different from the norm with him.

1 comment:

Jen said...

bummer. maybe sometime before you graduate you will be able to make that flight.

we got austin's present today. he will be stoked.