Wednesday, October 8, 2008

I feel the need...the need for speed! (going really fast, not the drug)

Update: I am not sure who Jusgirl is but the question was posted about what type of plane I fly. It is a four seat piper warrior. Here is a picture of one. http://flightops.aero.und.edu/airplanes/warrior.asp

Well I finally got to get back into the air today. I had to do a cross country with my instructor that was to three different airports and back. The weather was a little windy but good enough to proceed. We flew from Grand Forks to Fargo to Crookston and then back to Grand Forks. It was a pretty event less flight. We took off burned some fuel (money) and then went home. I was going to go on my long cross country to night but found out that I didn't have the correct number of night landings to be considered current to fly at night. You have to have 5 (UND policy) while the FAA only requires 3. Well I have my 3 but couldn't go. The flight was also on the border of my limitations because of the cross wind component. Oh well, rescheduled the flight and I am now looking forward to next week.
Flying out of Grand Forks you don't get to see many commercial airplanes or airplanes that are not UND's. Here is a couple of pictures of a Citation Jet that ATC decided to cut me off with. The last picture is of Grand Forks at about 4,500 ft. I love loving in the winter because the haze appearance with be gone when it gets colder outside.
Warning the propeller in the videos doesn't appear to be moving really fast because the camera isn't high tech enough to pick up the speed of it so it looks as if it is standing still at times.
This first video is a Stop and Go at Crookston. There is a heavy cross wind blow us to the right
This second video is of my landing at Grand Forks after everything is said and done.
If you listen closely you can actually here me "grease the tires" on the runway at about 3:44 on the right side and 3:45 for the left.
Term of the Day: Greasing the tires is aviation slang for having a really soft landing that the tires spoil up really fast as you gently touch down.

3 comments:

Quiltermama said...

I thought watching my kids learn to drive was scarey! I am glad that I 'm not on the ground watching you come in for the landing. You look like you are doing great! I don't like the way the propellar goes both directions!!
mom

Jen said...

nothing like taking off sideways is there. that is what it felt like when we landed in fargo. just watching that makes me a nervous wreck. you are looking good though.

jusgirl said...

Rob and I were having a 'discussion' earlier about what kind of plane you fly. he thinks it is a lear jet. i think it's one of those prop numbers that fits two people. who is more right?